Historical Friendship Baptist Church
Building committee members for the historical Friendship Baptist Church selected CDH Partners to design a completely new church campus. Plans call for this new campus to be completed in April 2017, which will be the church’s 155th anniversary. Friendship is one of the oldest African-American churches in the city of Atlanta.
The new 44,000 square foot church will contain state-of-the-art technology and a sanctuary that seats 500. The design for the Fellowship Hall will be flexible and contain a stage and room for over 450 people, while a smaller chapel will seat 200. The church will also contain educational and choir rehearsal space.
Friendship Baptist was displaced when the Atlanta Falcons began to acquire property for a new stadium. It was established in 1862 and is Atlanta’s first African American Baptist congregation. In the beginning, church services were held in a donated railroad boxcar given to Friendship by a church in Ohio. It was used for worship services on Sunday and as a classroom by youth during the week.
Both Spelman and Morris Brown Colleges began in the basement of Friendship Baptist Church. These schools later became a part of Atlanta University. The church is also the “Mother” church to nine other African American Baptist congregations.
Many elements of the historical Friendship Church building have been preserved and will be incorporated into the new building. Stained glass windows will be reused along with the church’s original bell and pipe organ.
Friendship Baptist Church
Read more about this important historical church by clicking here.