Sumter Regional HealthPLEX
Sumter Regional Hospital has served the Middle Flint region since 1953. When a large former retail space adjacent to the hospital became available, officials immediate saw it as an opportunity to expand their services to the community. They turned to CDH Partners for a master plan that called for the renovation and modification of 65,000 square feet.
The first phase of the HealthPLEX included the addition of imaging and diagnostic services along with women’s health services, which was anchored by the latest state-of-the-art MRI scanner. The center also features women’s mammography.
Using the skeleton of a previous commercial space presented several challenges. The demands of new technologies, from electrical and mechanical to patient accessibility, required that most of the existing system had to be removed. New electrical services, along with new HVAC units, a TPO roof, and fire suppression system were installed.
The original structure’s concrete slab was cut to accommodate the utility requirements. The slab in the MRI area had to be completely removed and replace to accommodate the new utilities and floor leveling requirements.
Designers chose a bright and lively color palette, which enhances the feeling of light and movement as patients and visitors transition from one space to another. Surfaces are durable with touches of wood and other natural elements. A striking brushed aluminum canopy serves a signature element for the HealthPLEX.
Sumter Regional Hospital