Work is well underway at the construction site for historic Friendship Baptist Church in Atlanta. This new location on Walnut Street is adjacent to Morris Brown College and about four blocks from the church’s original location.
CDH Partners Project Manager Carine Kroko and firm Principal David Strickland were on site for a meeting and site tour with the Van Winkle construction team.
The site will take shape quickly once the drainage is in. Plans call for this new campus to be completed in the spring of 2017.
CDH Partners is the architectural design firm for the new historical Friendship Baptist Church. This drone footage was recently shot as construction at the new campus ramps up. Plans call for construction be completed in April 2017 in time for the church to celebrate it 155th year anniversary. Friendship is one of the oldest African-American churches in the city of Atlanta. The new 44,000 square foot church will contain state-of-the-art technology and a sanctuary that seats 500. The design for the Fellowship Hall will be flexible and contain a stage and room for over 450 people, while a smaller chapel will seat 200. The church will also contain educational and choir rehearsal space.
Construction is underway on Dallas Memory Care located in Dallas, Georgia. CDH Partners is the Architectural Design firm for the this new state-of-the-art memory care facility, which is slated to open the first quarter in 2017.
The assisted-living memory care community will offer a caring, safe, secure, and home-like environment for its residents.
Architects for CDH Partners created a master plan that preserved much of the natural setting. This single-story 43,674 square foot facility is expected to cost an estimated $6.1 million.
The Ground Breaking Ceremony for Friendship Baptist Church was held on Sunday, October 18, at 4 pm. CDH is the architect for this historical church. Friendship Baptist Church was established in 1862 and independently organized in 1866, in the days following the Civil War. Friendship is Atlanta’s first black Baptist autonomous congregation. The church began in a discarded railroad boxcar that was donated by a Cincinnati, Ohio, church. The boxcar served as a worship space on Sundays. By 1865, it was used for early classes at the burgeoning Atlanta University.
The membership grew rapidly so the congregation moved to a larger building on the corner of Haynes and Markham Streets and later to the Mitchell Street location.
Friendship’s role in black education has been unique and very important. In 1879, after Morehouse College moved to Atlanta from Augusta, classes were held at Friendship Baptist Church. Years later in 1881, Spelman College had its beginning in the basement of the Mitchell Street site. Close ties between these educational institutions and Friendship Baptist Church continue today. —Taken from the Ground Breaking program produced by Friendship Baptist Church
The new building should be completed in spring 2017.
It is the beginning of a new chapter of the life of historical Friendship Baptist Church, and CDH Partners will join in on the next part of the story. The Marietta firm was selected as the design firm for the project, which includes the construction of a new sanctuary, chapel, educational space, and fellowship hall. Over the last few weeks demolition began on the what will become the new site for the church.
The church’s building committee recently unveiled plans for the new church campus that will be located on property once owned by Interdenominational Theological Center. Plans call for the new church to be completed in April 2017, which is the church’s 155th anniversary. The new 44,000 square foot church will contain state-of-the-art technology, and a sanctuary that will seat 500 people. The flexible Fellowship Hall will contain a stage and room for over 450 people, while a smaller chapel will seat 200.
Friendship Baptist was displaced when the Atlanta Falcons began to acquire property for a new stadium. Twenty-five former slaves established the church in 1862. It was independently organized in 1866 and became the first African American Baptist church in Atlanta. In the beginning, church services were held in a donated railroad boxcar given to Friendship Baptist by a church in Ohio. It was used for church services on Sunday and as a classroom for youth during the week
The church’s congregation grew quickly and moved to the corner of Haynes and Markham Streets. It relocated to Northside Drive and later to Mitchell Street before selling its property in 2014 to the Atlanta Falcons. Both Spelman and Morehouse Colleges began in the basement of this church. These schools became a part of the larger Atlanta University. The church is also the “Mother” church to nine other African American Baptist congregations.
Many elements of the historical Friendship Church building have been preserved and will be incorporated into the new building. Stained glass windows will be reused along with the church’s original bell and pipe organ.
CDH Partners is consistently one of the top 25 architectural firms in Georgia. It was founded in 1977 and has repeatedly been recognized as one of the most progressive architectural firms in the state of Georgia and the southeast.